Global. Healthy. Lifestyle.

Forum
Welcome, Guest
Username Password: Remember me

Favorite Vegetable?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest

TOPIC: Favorite Vegetable?

09 Mar 2010 15:06 Re:Favorite Vegetable? #5672

Exploring new veggies at your local farmers market is a great way to shake up weary taste buds while adding healthy vitamins and antioxidants to your diet.

Look for arugula, bok choy, chayote, leeks, radicchio, daikon, and Swiss chard.

Other more "exotic" choices that may be more difficult to locate include taro, cassava, yucca, Jerusalem artichoke, burdock, jicama, banana squash, kabocha, and manioc. Taro is a favorite tropical veg, steamed in coconut milk with banana and spices. Cassava can be cooked like a potato and is great as chips.

If you do find these harder to find vegetable options, consider freezing some for later use. Another option, if you have a green thumb, is to grow your own.

26 May 2010 22:53 Re:Favorite Vegetable? #5872

• admin
Broad beans followed by potato.

27 May 2010 14:53 Re:Favorite Vegetable? #5873

Mine would have to be the tomato all the way. I just I was not allergic to them. (as if that would stop me)
>^..^<

23 Jul 2010 17:49 Re:Favorite Vegetable? #6025

• begreen
I used to dislike Brussells Sprouts now I just love em. I think my dear mother who was a great cook, except for the boiled sprouts turned me off them. Got some Brussells Sprouts from the local organic co-op and they had some recipes attached, my fave now is to pan-fry with extra virgin olive oil and sea salt until they're brown and crispy on the outside. Love them in curries, where the spices infiltrate and soften the sprout, creating a wonderful flavour.

26 Jul 2010 22:01 Re:Favorite Vegetable? #6033

• EcoDave
  • Fresh Boarder
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned the humble Onion! (Or maybe they have, but I missed it) I think all my favourite dishes have onion in the recipe, might make you cry but they're a versatile kitchen staple.
Visit the Rapanui Eco Fashion Page for for more information on organic, ethical and sustainable clothing!

28 Jul 2010 15:29 Re:Favorite Vegetable? #6043

• gazza
  • Gold Boarder
EcoDave you are so right the humble onion is just so versatile and my good wife says they dress up a plain dish - like adding to mashed potato. We are harvesting aerial potato (a yam) and cocoyam, which can be diced, boiled or mashed and teamed with onion, like potato. Pureed cocoyam makes a great soup.
Time to create page: 0.15 seconds

Please consider supporting our efforts with a small donation between $5 to $10. Corporations can request a sponsorship package.

Amount: 

did-you-know-317-x-83px
facebook-like-us-banner-317

Hot Topics

Stewart + Brown - Organic Pioneers

Karen Stewart and Howard Brown, partners in life and work, launched their ethical fashion ...

Wear Your Music

Wear Your Music® is a company whose philosophy centers around our love for music and our...

Self sufficiency City Style

Introducing; The 'living fridge' that recreates a river in your front room to give you fr...

Heirloom Country Gardens

Love history as much as you love plants? Interested in resurrecting some nearly forgotten ...

Organic Pavlova

When you have left-over egg whites sitting in the fridge, waiting to be turned into somet...

Recycled Pencils

TreeSmart® is dedicated to the idea that all of us are responsible to our environment. We...

Frugal-152-x-176

Daily-Bites-152-x-165

Eco Quote

There are no passengers on Spaceship Earth.  We are all crew.

Marshall McLuhan 1964

CLICK HERE for more quotes

Recommended Sites